Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Mint

During July, the blogs that I usually follow for a weekly/monthly challenge have a special event. It's called Oh Mon Dieu Part Deux Challenge (or OMD2 for short). Basically there's a new theme every day and at the beginning of next month they will pick one winner from each of the five different regions. (The prizes have to be different because shipping laws differ between countries.)



Since I am getting married on July 19th, I won't be able to do my nails as often as I would like to for this challenge, so I'm going to be creative. They have released all of the nail prompts and they don't need to be done in order, so I am actually going to do a different manicure on my left and right hands. I'm going to give them their own blog post, though.

Today's theme is mint. There are two approaches, one being mint colour and the other being a mint that you might eat. I chose to go with the latter approach. I sketched out some of my plans for the month. I decided that I needed to get a new white polish because my old one kind of spilled in the transit from Michigan to Canberra. I had a rule that I wasn't going to buy more nail polish until I had a job, but I needed to make an exception for this.


I ended up buying a white from Sinful Colours. It's a lot cheaper than the other polishes and I figured I'd give it a second chance. I have an orange from Sinful Colours, but I don't like the consistency and it doesn't show up at all if I try to put it on top of another colour for nail art. I found this white to be just as crap as the other stuff. The consistency is very liquidy and when you put it on your nails it becomes thick is some places and very uneven. This made the drying time suck and it got all sorts of dents.


For the red swirls I also used one of my cheaper and crappier nail polishes. It's from Wet n Wild. It's one that actually sort of melted when I spent the day at Cedar Point.


I did three major red swirls and then a thin line between each of them. I decided to just go with an accent nail instead of all of my nails.


It wasn't until I started putting on the top coat that I realised that this red is so bad. It felt dry to the touch, but it still smeared when I applied the top coat. I now have pink swears and lines. Plus the polish did not clean up well from the rest of my fingers. I really liked my design, but it would have looked a lot better if I had used better nail polishes.



No comments:

Post a Comment